Aztec

Friday, July 11, 2014

NICU 2.0 Updates!

I haven't been quite as good with Banner updates as I was with Boston... but to be honest it's because not much has changed haha. He is still healthy and still as cute as ever, and he's STILL not eating :( He is starting to frustrate his mother with his laziness haha.

This guy.... how can I stay mad at this face though? 

He is just so sleepy and only makes it a couple minutes with the bottle before he falls asleep and is done! They calculate a min. amount based on his weight that he needs to be getting everyday on his own with the bottle... and on a very good day we are getting half of that haha. The rest is still being given to him through the tube. 

"It's ok mom, I'm just not quite ready to come home yet and get balls thrown at my face by my big brother!"

That's what I imagine him saying :) The doctor's say his brain just isn't developed enough yet so it's not really that he is lazy, it's just that he doesn't have the ability to know how to yet. BUT they also told me that they usually start catching on at around 36 weeks. 

Well he is 37 now so I think it is safe to say that he is just a LITTLE lazy.... (he probably gets that from me). My mom told me that it is still normal though and boys are always a lot more slow and stubborn when it comes to eating. Boys....

But seriously... how cute is he? And check out that double chin!?

He almost weighs 6 lbs now! He is officially out of preemie clothes and into the newborns! Because of the fact that he is getting so fat so fast and still not eating... they did cut back on the extra calories they put in my milk (they do that for all preemies to help them gain weight) and lowered his min. amount needed everyday. Banner's doctor is wondering if maybe he is just getting too full and that is part of the reason why he is so tired all the time. They are also testing my milk today because if I have unusually fatty milk then they will stop the calories all together! But like I keep saying... I think he's just being a fart. 

I sure do love him though, I want him home SO bad!!! We got moved into our own little private room with a window in it, so now we can bring Boss to the window and show him his brother! It is so funny, he has no idea what is going on and just think it's fun to see mom or dad through the window, he does point to Banner and say his version of "baby" but he has no idea the effect this little guy will have on his life in a few weeks haha.  

The hospital is starting to take it's tole on me though I think... I had a bit of a melt down yesterday and basically just cried all day for no reason haha. I can't really blame it on the hormones anymore either can I? It's just a little hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that Boston was a month earlier, had every medical problem you could think of, and was still home in basically 5 weeks. Well Banner is perfectly healthy, just not willing to eat on his own and from the sounds of it will be in here the same amount of time, if not longer!? It is just frustrating but there is nothing more we can do for him, he just needs to grow a little more I guess. And this time is so much harder in some ways, not because we are worrying about Banner making it through the night like with Boston, but dropping Boss of to a different stranger everyday is really hard for me (I don't think he really cares hah), and trying to find people to watch him everyday is very hard too. I just can't be at the hospital as much as I would like to with Banner because I have to care for Boston too and that makes me sad that I can't be at both places at once. But I have a great ward that has been helping SO much and Brian's aunt Cheryl has taken Boston for half the time and she has been a lifesaver!!

It has been a month today and I want him to come home so bad!!!!! Brian just tells me to try and enjoy the free babysitting at the hospital and the good night sleeps while I can haha. 

The thing I am looking forward to the most about Banner coming home: taking a picture of both my boys together, that will be so fun! :) 



2 comments:

  1. You are amazing. I was an absolute disaster when Clark was only in the NICU for 5 days. You are totally allowed to have meltdowns. What you are handling incredibly well is one of the hardest things to deal with. And you can totally blame it on hormones, no question! Haha. We hope cutie Banner will get to come home soon! We'll keep praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks natalie :) thats nice to hear because somedays I feel like I'm not handling it very well haha. a month is a loooonngg time... so is 5 days really, any time in the NICU is hard :( thanks for the thoughts and prayers though, we need them!!

    ReplyDelete